Calentita – the quintessential ‘Yanito’ dish. Every Gibraltarian knows how to cook calentita! Or so they should, it is a matter of national pride.
250g chickpea flour
1 litre water
1. Mix chickpea flour and water and salt/pepper in a bowl. Leave to stand, preferably overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Take a tin 9×6 inches (15x23cms) or oven dish and put enough oil to cover bottom of tin or bowl. Heat in oven.
3. Then spread hot oil up sides of tin with a pastry brush or by tilting. Stir mixture and pour immediately into tin, and put back in oven for about 1 hour approximately or until set in the middle.
4. Leave to stand for a while.
5. Good for two or three servings.