A cool drink well known by every Mauritian
2 1/2 cups milk powder
6 cups cold water
1/2 cup fruit syrup/ sirop
1-2 tbs granulated sugar
2 tbs basil seeds/ tocmaria
1 sachet [5g] agar agar powder
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
Ice cubes, to serve
- Dissolve agar agar powder in 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and add 2tsp strawberry syrup or sugar to mixture.
- Remove from heat and pour in anotherbowl or mould.
- Allow to cool and set at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Once set, coarsely grate agar agar or cut into small chunks. Reserve.
- Clean basil seeds. This is best done in advance as it takes time; basil seeds often come along with lotsa tiny impurities.
- After cleaning, soak in 1/2 cup warm water for about 30 minutes or until seeds swell up and stick together as one big slimy mass.
- Prepare milk by stirring milk powder in 6 cups water. You can use the same volume of fresh or UHT milk if that’s what you have on hand.
- Add fruit syrup, sugar and vanilla/almond. Stir until well combined.